SphereCel Laminate Bulker
Carbon-Core Corp.’s SphereCel products offer:
- Ease of use
- Constant thickness
- Low resin consumption
- Permanent bulk
- Print-through blocking
- Excellent fatigue resistance
- Cost and labor effectiveness
SphereCel is non-woven textile made from fine polyester fiber, manufactured in a continuous process similar to needlepunched felt. As the fiber is processed a 50% by volume load of hollow polyacrylonitrile microspheres is introduced along with an acrylic binder.
Perforations to facilitate faster resin saturation are hot needled into the SphereCel as a final process before coiling and converting.
Most laminate bulkers available in the marketplace today are made of polyester fiber and glass microspheres.
SphereCel has MULTI-DIRECTIONAL fiber orientation.
Unlike the unidirectional fiber orientation used in bulker products manufactured by most of our competitors, our multi-directional fiber orientation provides equal strength characteristics in both length and width directions. It also helps in wetting out the laminate equally in both directions, as opposed to easier wet out in one direction in linear fiber products.
SphereCel is easily recognized by its more frequent perforations, which help in the wetout of the material and create more vertical links as well as easing the evacuation of trapped air bubbles throughout the laminate.
- Print blocking: Thinner-grade SphereCel is a very effective print-through barrier when placed behind a skin coat.
- Screw retention: SphereCel adds excellent screw retention capability to a laminate, and can be placed, for example, around the perimeter of swim platforms for rub rail installation.
- Microcracking prevention: SphereCel reduces demolding cracks and stress cracks in gel coated parts.
- SphereCel performs at a level well above that of competitive products. Its shock resistance is 35 to 50 percent higher, one reason why products made with SphereCel obtain longer useful life cycles. Water absorption is equivalent to that of the competition. Its even, multi-directional fiber distribution offers reinforcement characteristics not available in competitive products.
SphereCel exhibits superior impact and shear strength, thanks to stronger links between the different layers within the mat as well as excellent resin distribution throughout the product.
SphereCel’s excellent impact values underscore the ability of the SphereCel-reinforced laminate to meet toughness requirements and withstand severe-duty fatigue.
Fabricators who use SphereCel can realize as much as a 60 percent weight savings compared to bulking laminate with fiberglass. One layer of SphereCel PE 3 mm replaces three layers of 1.5-oz chopped strand mat. Chopped strand mat 1.5 oz – SphereCel- Chopped strand mat 1.5 oz
(Impregnation: SphereCel with 600 g/m2/mm, CSM with 1000 g/m2)
Fast and easy handling
Core material is reinforcement material as well
Same resin type for core and covering layers
Homogeneous laminate with low water absorption
Core material with low specific weight, but monolithic laminate properties
Glass core materials with enormous impact and shear strength combined with low weight
High surface quality (Class A)
Carbon-Core Corp.’s SphereCel materials are manufactured in USA on our new Siemens PLC controlled fully automatic production line with capacity of 295000 sq ft per day and maximum width of 3.4 Meters